Job Title: Project Development Worker
Employer: Women Seeking Sanctuary Advocacy Group (WSSAG) Wales
Location: Cardiff, Wales
Responsible to: Line Manager
Travel: Local to Cardiff
Job Type: Part Time (15 hrs per week)
Duration: 9 months
Closing Date to Apply: 12th January 2019
Interview Date: 19th January 2019
Start Date of Position: ASAP after the interview
Women Seeking Sanctuary Advocacy Group (WSSAG) are a lobbying, advocacy and research group which works with and for refugee women and their families to bring about positive change in the refugee system and to enhance the ability to rebuild lives.
The TAKING WOMEN FORWARD PROJECT is funded by the Big Lottery Awards for All and is a 12-month project set up Voluntary Community Champions from asylum seeking and refugee women in South Wales and to develop a mentoring project for women seeking sanctuary.
Purpose of the Position
The Development Officer will recruit and organise training for Voluntary Community Champions from amongst asylum seeking and refugee women. The post holder will also set up a mentoring project for women seeking sanctuary. They will be key to the delivery of the activities/services offered by WSSAG through the Project.
- The Development Worker will be responsible for delivering the TAKING WOMEN FORWARD PROJECT. The project will deliver a range of activities/services aimed at supporting female asylum seekers.
- To recruit, train and manage Volunteer Community Champions women from asylum seeking and refugee communities
- To develop a mentoring project in partnership with existing WSSAG members and enable women to build confidence, access services and education and make connections within local communities.
- Be responsible for expanding the membership of WSSAG, helping more women in need of support
- To organise and manage volunteers
- To be the main point of contact for the members and lead the organisation’s activities, ensuring that a holistic support service can be accessed by women seeking sanctuary in South Wales
- To keep clear records and prepare reports and preparations to the Board of Trustees and Funders
- To research the needs of new activities; maintain a register of the known activities
- To attend meetings to represent WSSAG as required
- To keep up to date information, records and statistics for project monitoring purpose
- To prepare project report as requested and monthly reports to the Line Manager.
- To comply with the working practices of WSSAG.
Please note that the above outlines the main responsibilities, however due to the small size of the organisation, the role may require duties outside of this description so a willingness to be flexible is required.
This post is subject to an enhanced disclosure and barring check and is open to women only under the Equality Act 2010 pursuant to Schedule 9, Part 1.
- We are looking for someone with direct experience with the asylum seeking community.
- Wide range of life experiences and an understanding of the sensitive issues often faced by asylum seekers.
- Experience in developing and leading projects.
- Proven ability to work both in a team and on an individual basis.
- Experience of managing an office
- IT and social media
- Working in partnership with other organisations within the sector
- The preferred candidate must have a good level of English, both verbal and written.
Qualifications: No specific qualifications are required; however the successful candidate must be able to show that they have a right to work in the UK.
Personal Qualities: The preferred candidate would be an approachable person who is very patient and displays sensitivity to the issues often faced by asylum seekers.
How to Apply and for Further Information:
Please e-mail your CV and a covering letter to: email@example.com
Send it to: 3 North Church Street, Cardiff CF10 5HB.
Deadline for applications: 12th January 2019.